Anyone who has ever experimented with gluten free baking will know that gluten free cakes are prone to being dry and crumbly. This is obviously a big problem if you want cover and decorate it as a celebration cake.
So after a bit of tweaking I have come up with a tasty and non-crumbly Gluten Free Madeira Cake recipe!
This recipe will make 2x 6″ round cakes which can then be filled and crumb coated with your usual buttercream (as long as it’s gluten free of course).
Gluten Free Madeira Cake Recipe
- 225 g Baking Spread I use Stork
- 225 g Caster Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 5 x Medium Eggs
- 3 tbsp Milk
- 280 g Gluten Free Self-Raising Flour I use Doves Farm
- 1/4 tsp Xanthan Gum
- 1 tsp Gluten Free Baking Powder I use Dr Oetkers
- Preheat the oven to 325° F / 160° C / 140° Fan / Gas 3.
- Grease & line 2x 6” round cake tins.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until pale and creamy.
- Slowly add the beaten eggs and vanilla and mix well.
- Finally add the flour, baking powder & xanthan gum & milk and mix thoroughly until smooth.
- Carefully spoon the batter equally into the tins and bake for around 40 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Turn out of the tins and leave to cool on a wire rack.