As my husband is diabetic, I am always trying to find nice low sugar desserts that he can have. So today I made it my mission to come up with a decent sugar free apple crumble recipe! Well I say sugar free, but I suppose it should really say it has no sugar added to it as the apple does contain natural sugars. But either was, it’s still much better for diabetics 🙂
I was worried that it may end up tasting chemically if I used artificial sweeteners, but I used Canderel Sugarly, which has the same granulated texture as sugar and it was pretty damn good even if I do say so myself! In fact my son went back for seconds without even realising that it was sugar free so I’m going to assume he liked it!
- 6x Large Brambly Cooking Apples
- 100ml Water
- 3tbsp Granulated Artificial Sweetener (I used Canderel Sugarly)
- 350g Self Raising Flour
- 75g Granulated Artificial Sweetener (I used Canderel Sugarly)
- 1/2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 160g Unsalted Butter
- Preheat the oven to 200C / 180 Fan / Gas 6.
- Peel and chop the apples and place them in a large pan with the water and sprinkle over the 3 tbsp of sweetener.
- Heat the apples over a medium heat for 5-10mins, stirring occasionally until they soften and start to break down.
- Transfer the apple to a large ovenproof dish, spread them out evenly with the back of a spoon and put to one side.
- Then to make the topping, place the flour, sweetener, cinnamon & cubed chilled butter into a large mixing bowl and using your fingers rub it together until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Then use you hands to sprinkle the crumbs over the top of the apple, pressing it down very lightly to make it even, but not so hard that it compacts.
- Then bake in the pre-heated oven for about 40mins until it's golden on top and the crumble topping is coming away from the edges of the dish.