These crusty white bread rolls are both delicious and simple to make.
Add your favorite filling for a tasty lunch, or they are the perfect accompaniment for soup.
Crusty White Bread Roll Recipe
Write a review
2 hr 30 min
2 hr 30 min
- 400g Strong White Bread Flour (+ extra to dust)
- 7g (1 sachet) Easy Bake Dried Yeast
- 1tsp Salt
- 1tbsp Caster Sugar
- 1tbsp Olive Oil (+ extra to grease)
- 280ml Warm Water
- Put the flour, yeast, salt & sugar into a bowl a mix together.
- Then add the water and oil and mix together.
- Tip the mixture onto a lightly oiled surface and knead for around 10mins until smooth and elastic.
- Grease a large bowl with oil and place the dough into and cover with clingfilm brushed with oil.
- Leave the dough to prove in a warm place for 1-2hrs, or until it's doubled in size.
- Grease a baking tray with oil (use 2 if 1 is not large enough to leave a decent amount of space between each roll).
- Divide the dough into 12 equal pieces and shape into balls.
- Place the balls onto the oiled tray making sure there is plenty of space between them.
- Cover the tray with oiled clingfilm and leave to prove again for an hour or until they have doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 425° F / 220° C / 200° Fan / Gas 7.
- Remove the clingfilm and dust with flour.
- Then using a sharp knife carefully slash a cross on top of each roll.
- Bake for around 15mins or until golden brown and sound hollow when you tap them.
- Carefully transfer them to a wire rack and allow to cool.
- If using a stand mixer with dough hooks, instead of steps 1-3 place all the ingredients into the bowl together and mix on the slowest setting for a minute or 2 until combined. Then turn the speed up for another minute or 2 until you have a smooth dough.
Sarah Sibley http://www.sarahsibley.com/