We all know it takes hours to make meringues, so these 40 second cheat meringues are perfect when you just want something quick, easy and fun for the kids! They don’t have quite the same texture as proper meringues and you can’t create perfectly shaped swirls with them, but unlike regular meringues you don’t need to whisk anything and you don’t need to bake them for hours, just stick them in the microwave for 40 seconds!
40 Second Rainbow Meringue Recipe
- 270 g Icing Sugar
- 1 x Medium Egg White
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Pink Gel Colour
- Blue Gel Colour
- Yellow Gel Colour
- 8 x Sheets of Kitchen Towel
- Place the sugar, egg & vanilla in bowl and mix together.
- Then use your hands to bring it together into a smooth fondant like ball.
- Divide the ball into 3 equal pieces and colour each ball with a different colour.
- Roll each of the balls into long thin sausages then squeeze them together into one fat sausage.
- Carefully slice the big sausage into approx 30 slices.
- Then roll each of the slices into a smooth ball.
- Place a sheet of kitchen towel onto a plate and place 4 of the balls onto the towel, making sure they are spaced out allowing room for them to expand.
- Microwave them for 40 seconds in a 900w microwave, or up to 60 seconds if your microwave is less powerful.
- Remove the plate from the microwave and leave the meringues to cool for a minute before carefully peeling them away from the kitchen towel and transferring to a plate.
- Then repeat the process 4 at a time until they're all done, making sure to allow the plate to cool off before re-using it for the next batch (or use a couple of plates on rotation) and use a fresh sheet of kitchen towel each time.