Traditional Battenberg cake may look like it would be hard to make, but it’s actually a piece of cake! (Do you see what I did there) 😉 Here is my Battenberg cake recipe and step by step tutorial.
- 175 g Soft Butter Stork
- 175 g Caster Sugar
- 5 ml Vanilla Extract
- 3 x Medium Eggs
- 175 g Self-Raising Flour
- A few drops of Pink / Red Food Colouring
- 400-500 g Marzipan
- Apricot Glaze / Smooth Jam
- + Extra Butter for greasing
- + Extra Caster Sugar for rolling
- Preheat the oven to 325° F / 160° C / 140° Fan / Gas 3.
- Line a Battenberg tin and grease the dividers or line a standard 8"x6" cake tin and create your own divider with aluminum foil (see tutorial below)
- Cream together the butter and sugar until pale and creamy.
- Slowly add the beaten eggs.
- Add the vanilla extract and mix well.
- Finally add the flour and mix thoroughly until smooth.
- Divide the batter into 2 bowls and add the pink colouring a little at a time to one bowl.
- Carefully place the 2 batters into the different compartments of the tin.
- Bake for around 35 minutes or until it has formed a golden crust and springs back when pressed lightly.
- Carefully slice off any cake that has risen above the tin, then remove and cool on a wire rack.
- When cool, roll out the marzipan on a sprinkling of caster sugar.
- Add a splash of boiling water to a few spoonfuls of the jam and mix into a smooth paste before brushing it onto the rolled marzipan.
- Place one of the yellow bars of cake onto the centre of the maripan. Then take a pink bar and brush one side with the jam and place it next to the yellow one. Brush the tops with jam and place the other yellow bar on top of the pink bar and the other pink bar on top of the yellow bar.
- Carefully lift the marzipan up and wrap it tightly around the cake, with the join in the middle.
- Flip it over and trim away the excess marzipan.
- Serve in thick slices.