Classic Victoria Sponge Cake is a good old British favourite, perfect for all occasions. Two layers of moist vanilla sponge, sandwiched together with fresh whipped cream and fruity jam.
- 350 g Soft Butter Stork
- 350 g Caster Sugar
- 10 ml Vanilla Extract
- 6 x Medium Eggs
- 350 g Self-Raising Flour
- 300 ml standard small tub Whipping Cream
- 2 x tbsp Caster Sugar
- 4-5 x tbsp Raspberry / Strawberry Jam
- Icing Sugar To Dust
- Preheat the oven to 325° F / 160° C / 140° Fan / Gas 3.
- Grease & line two 7.5" tins.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until pale and creamy.
- Slowly add the beaten eggs.
- Add the vanilla and mix well.
- Finally add the flour and mix thoroughly until smooth.
- Carefully divide the batter into the tins (weighing each filled tin will help you to get them as even as possible).
- Bake for around 40 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Remove from the tins and leave to cool on wire racks, one face up and one face down.
- When the cakes are completely cool, take the layer that was top down on the cooling rack and place it on your plate / board the same way around, top down with the flat side facing up.
- If it doesn't sit flat and there is a gap around the edge between the plate and the cake, carefully slice off a small amount of the raised centre until it sits flat on the plate.
- Now spread the jam evenly over the flat surface.
- For the whipped cream filling, whisk the chilled cream until it reaches soft peaks consistency.
- Then sprinkle over the caster sugar & continue whisking until you have stiff peaks.
- Spread a generous layer of the cream on top of the jam covered cake, leaving about a cm around the edge. Then carefully place the other sponge on top and very lightly press down until the cream has spread out to the edges.
- Finally dust the top with icing sugar & enjoy!