This Large Fruit Scone Recipe is delicious smothered in jam and cream for the perfect cream tea 🙂
- 525 g Self Raising Flour plus extra for dusting
- 2 1/4 tsp Baking Powder
- 60 g Caster Sugar
- 115 g Salted Butter chilled and cubed
- 115 g Sultanas
- 150 ml Milk
- 3 Eggs
- Preheat oven to 220°C / 200° Fan / 425°F / Gas 7 & grease a large baking sheet.
- Place the flour, baking powder & sugar into a large mixing bowl and mix together.
- Then add the chilled cubes of butter and using the tips of your fingers, rub the butter into the flour until it looks like fine breadcrumbs.
- Now add the sultanas and mix thoroughly.
- Put the milk and eggs into a jug and beat together, then pour all but 2-3tbsp of the liquid into the breadcrumb mixture.
- Using a round bladed knife, mix together until you have a slightly sticky dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and knead gently a few times until gathered together, but no more than that.
- Carefully roll out the dough to about 2cm / 3⁄4" thick
- Dust a 3" round (non fluted) cutter with flour and cut out as many circles as possible from the dough, making sure to press down hard once rather than twisting the cutting as you might when cutting out biscuits.
- Carefully pick up the circles and place them on the baking sheet, making sure to leave plenty of space between them for expansion.
- Gather up the dough trimmings, re-rolling and cutting until the dough is all gone. It should make about 10 scones.
- Finally, using a pastry brush, brush the tops of the scones with the remaining milk & egg mixture.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until risen and golden.
- Remove from the baking sheet and leave to cool on a wire rack.