Like mulled wine? Like cake? Then you’ll love these super Christmassy Mulled Wine Cupcakes! They smell divine when they’re baking as well 🙂
- 175 g Soft Butter Stork
- 175 g Caster Sugar
- 3 x Medium Eggs
- 200 g Self-Raising Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 2 tsps Mixed Spice
- 1/2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 10 ml Orange Essence
- 110 ml Red Wine
- 350 g Fondant Icing Sugar
- 100 g Unsalted Butter softened
- A few drops of claret / red food colouring
- Preheat the oven to 325° F / 160° C / 140° Fan / Gas 3.
- Line a muffin tin with 12 large muffin sized cupcake cases.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until pale and creamy.
- Slowly add the beaten eggs.
- Add 75ml of the red wine and 5ml or the orange essence and mix well.
- Add the flour, spice and cinnamon and mix thoroughly until smooth.
- Finally add a small amount of claret or red food colouring and mix thoroughly.
- Carefully spoon the batter into the cases.
- Bake for around 25 minutes or until the sponge springs back when pressed lightly.
- Remove from the tin and leave to cool on a wire rack.
- Mix together the icing sugar and spice.
- Add the remaining 35ml of red wine and 5ml of orange essence.
- Then add the softened butter and mix together until creamy and lump free.
- If the frosting is not a dark enough colour, add a few drops of claret or red food colouring to get the desired shade.
- Once the cakes are cool pipe a swirl of frosting onto each cake.