As my husband is diabetic, I am always trying to find nice low sugar desserts that he can have. So today I made it my mission to come up with a decent sugar free apple crumble recipe! Well I say sugar free, but I suppose it should really say it has no sugar added to it as the apple does contain natural sugars. But either was, it’s still much better for diabetics 🙂
I was worried that it may end up tasting chemically if I used artificial sweeteners, but I used Canderel Sugarly, which has the same granulated texture as sugar and it was pretty damn good even if I do say so myself! In fact my son went back for seconds without even realising that it was sugar free so I’m going to assume he liked it!
Sugar Free Apple Crumble Recipe
For the Apple Filling
- 6 x Large Brambly Cooking Apples
- 100 ml Water
- 3 tbsp Granulated Artificial Sweetener I used Canderel Sugarly
For the Crumble Topping
- 350 g Self Raising Flour
- 75 g Granulated Artificial Sweetener I used Canderel Sugarly
- 1/2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 160 g Unsalted Butter
- Preheat the oven to 200C / 180 Fan / Gas 6.
- Peel and chop the apples and place them in a large pan with the water and sprinkle over the 3 tbsp of sweetener.
- Heat the apples over a medium heat for 5-10mins, stirring occasionally until they soften and start to break down.
- Transfer the apple to a large ovenproof dish, spread them out evenly with the back of a spoon and put to one side.
- Then to make the topping, place the flour, sweetener, cinnamon & cubed chilled butter into a large mixing bowl and using your fingers rub it together until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Then use you hands to sprinkle the crumbs over the top of the apple, pressing it down very lightly to make it even, but not so hard that it compacts.
- Then bake in the pre-heated oven for about 40mins until it's golden on top and the crumble topping is coming away from the edges of the dish.